This week I started reading The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories by Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff. These three Young Adult authors and critique partners (known as the Merry Sisters of Fate) committed to writing short stories and posting them on their blog. The posts made their way to publication in this awesome collection, along with handwritten notes, doodles, and commentary on the creative process. It’s been an inspiring and entertaining read–especially with Maggie Stiefvater’s awesome freehand drawings. I find writing short stories and flash fiction a really challenging but beneficial exercise in learning to get to the heart of a story in as few words as possible.
On the ROWing side of things, it’s been *meh* week. I hit most of my goals, but just barely.
- Blog for ROW80. Check.
- Encourage other ROWers. No check.
- Finish my work-in-progress. Closer, but probably not going to happen this round of ROWing. 23k words in now and nearing my midpoint.
- Write ~3 scenes per week. Check. These were short scenes, but kept the momentum going.
- Characters, Emotion and Viewpoint by Nancy Kress. Almost finished.
- The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories by Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff
A Round of Words in 80 Days is the writing challenge that knows you have a life! It’s also a blog roll. Click Here to read other participants’ entries.